NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM

NEW D-MAX /MUX /COLORADO FORUM
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:38 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

We have NEW server almost ready, try it out here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:30 pm 

Thanks Dan, another great post.

With the shims, is the idea to have just a little bit of play but not more than 0.2 mm or somewhere between a little bit of play and no play? What happens if too much or too little?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:47 pm 

Thanks for the below Dan

Last edited by Tink on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:50 pm 

Tink wrote:
Thanks Dan, another great post.

With the shims, is the idea to have just a little bit of play but not more than 0.2 mm or somewhere between a little bit of play and no play? What happens if too much or too little?

MD pretty well sums it up here mate from another thread,

"Make sure when fitting FWH you ensure the end float of the CV shaft is NO MORE THAN 0.2mm. Preferably less ie, 0.1mm or thereabouts. Has to have some running clearance for lube between running faces.

The reason for that is so the centre point of the outer CV's operation/function is inline with the steering axis between the ball joints. If not in line they crunch CV's because the parts aren't running in unison when on a turn.

Adjustment is by having the correct shim thickness between the drive spline inner and the circlip."

Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:56 pm 

good post up dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:20 am 

Rumrunna wrote:
Cheers danno great post on the avm fwh, perfect timing for me! I have a pair in the shed ready to go on one night this week! I was wondering if I should be putting any type of lube inside them when fitting. I noticed in the avm book it says use no grease, but roothy and the guy from terrain tamer recommend putting grease in them on a installation video on youtube.

Personal choice mate, I smeared high pressure grease on the teeth only and a little bit of marine grease everywhere else which is great for not being washed out in case water gets in and help prevent rust if it does.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:48 pm 

A bit of a tip for those with LRA or any other long range tank, or considering one.

I have a 147l LRA and I decided to find out how many litres you could actually use out of the tank before you grind to a halt, the problem with these tanks is that they are so long wide and flat on the bottom that they can be holding quite a lot of fuel but because of the size it ends up too shallow for the pickup which is in the middle of the tank, especially if you head up or down a hill when all the fuel rushes to the appropriate and and leaves the pickup high and dry.

I have an Ultragauge fitted to my D Max and it will tell me exactly how many litres are left in the tank (very handy and surprisingly accurate), so it got down to 15 L and all was okay until I hit a slight decline and it coughed and was quickly shut down, so in effect 20 L would be the minimum you could have in the tank, with the OEM tank I would expect you could use at least 10 L more, leaving you with 10 before you might start to have issues, which is about 100 km.

So my 147 L tank is actually only a 127 L effectively, which is something to bear in mind when you're working out how far you can get on one of these tanks between refuels and what size tank you're going to fit in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:16 pm 

Got my OEM tank down to 10l remaining once. Not sure how much more was useable but I reckon that is as low as I ever want to go. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:57 pm 

Almost ran my dry on the first tank. The warning light was flashing and I pretty much put in what the maximum capacity is. No coughing or spluttering and it must of had only a litre or so left

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:33 pm 

heps wrote:
I have the Long Ranger Tank in new DMAX, most I've topped up with is 100 litres, might drive with a jerry in the back see how much I get out of it ....

Kill the motor on the first cough mate, they de-prime real quick, it nearly had me, took some time to fire up, thought I was calling road service, no way was I cracking one of those injectors.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:52 pm 

Rogee will do, maybe just have a thousand k cut off then always refill depending on off road work.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next