Engine Stalling

travis_mc

Engine Stalling

Post by travis_mc »

Hi All,

Im currently having an issue with my 2015 LST Dmax and im wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. On a cold engine it will run fine until it gets to operating temp then it cuts out. It takes a few minutes before it can be restarted and only runs for a short period before stalling. When it stalls it doesn't throw any codes.
Isuzu have had it for 4 weeks and are no further foreword to figuring it out.
Fuel filter had been replaced,
fuel has been tested and is ok,

Any ideas
mydmax

Re: Engine Stalling

Post by mydmax »

Travis.
If it runs for a while when cold then stops when hot, it can't be the fuel filter, as the cold start demand is more than the running hot demand. Not a filter changing reason, it is just everyone seems to want to change filters as though it will be a miraculous fix instead of doing some diagnosis. Rarely is a filter a problem. Many good filters are replaced because of, "I dunno" and most say replace it.
Does it do it with a full tank or lower level? if more quickly with a full tank it may be the filler cap one way breather not allowing air into the tank, therefore it stops fuel from being drawn from the tank by the transfer pump. Not being there it is hard to tell though.
If it suddenly just stops I would be looking for a dirty loom plug which gets hot after a time and hot more quickly after a restart. and cuts voltage or current flow. Alternatively, it may be a power relay simply disconnecting through it getting a bit warmer and opening it's supply of circuit current.
Could be the crank angle sensor, a "HALL EFFECT" device which when warmed it stops sending NO1 Signal to the ECU. A code should appear if so.
Does the person who is investigating seem to know what they are doing? it seems a long time for no result! Doesn't indicate much knowledge of Isuzu systems does it?
SO is it a "stall" where the engine drops down in speed and stops OR suddenly switches off, cuts and stops and is being called a stall?
travis_mc

Post by travis_mc »

Hi Mydamx,
It just suddenly stops, as if it has been switched off, Isuzu replaced the filter as part of the fuel system elimination process, still on the same fuel the issue started with but i did try with the fuel cap off and no change. the Isuzu tech does sound knowledgeable but who knows, the live engine data doesn't show any abnormalities when the engine is running or when it stalls, it has them stumped.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Travis
The logical thing I see is, if it takes a while before it stops and then has to cool before it will start again and then runs a shorter period before stopping again, it appears to be something which is definitely affected by being heated. So you look for components which become heated, surely! As a relay operates it's coil gets warm. if it open circuits when hot and closes when cooler, that is what you look for. Changing vital relays with a known one, ie, dumb diagnosis method, is one way. Testing voltages at vital points would also be an indicator. Even wiring a globe to see if a circuit turns off would be a good idea. A faulty coil in a relay? Main engine relay power? Crank angle sensor? Not sure how logical these people are but if no codes then they should be looking for items which cause no codes. That is logical too. These sort of faults are not covered or even thought of in workshop training unfortunately.
travis_mc

Post by travis_mc »

Thanks ill look into the relays and also mention it to Isuzu when they get the car back on Monday, i did happen to find some small corrosion and dirt this morning on the plug for the fuel rail pressure sensor, for some reason it wont let me attach a photo,
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Travis
Where in Oz are you? might be a chance we are close or prevented by border commandants.
travis_mc

Post by travis_mc »

Im in perth
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

A long drive from central Vic, just a thought, you have McGowan Guards, SA has border Marshalls and we have China Dan, (more descriptive terms available) all working against us.
Bob

Post by Bob »

You could always try Major Motors. I brought my D-Max through there O'Connor yard, they have now moved to Bibra Lake but they also have other yards if they are closer.
travis_mc wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:46 pmIm in perth
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.
travis_mc

Post by travis_mc »

Hi Bob, Im due to go on holiday in early September, Im worried if i take elsewhere ill be right back at the beginning, Osborne park isuzu have it and they know the history of it,