Dmax 2018 variable vane turbo fault

Timmy

Dmax 2018 variable vane turbo fault

Post by Timmy »

Had my Dmax now for just 2 years tomorrow, bought it brand new.

At 40000 kms it went into limp home mode, traction light and engine check mode come on the dash.

New turbo fitted under warranty.

At 73000 did the same thing. In for a new turbo again.

I pull a trailer for work and when all is good the ute would pull a 'sailor off your sister'. When it fails it's a bucket of sh#t.

It's been serviced well all the time, it gets worked. It appears that the variable vane bushings in the turbo can't handle towing heat and distort. Maybe Isuzu are not bullet proof like they think they are.
mydmax

Re: Dmax 2018 variable vane turbo fault

Post by mydmax »

Timmy
Do you have a bulbar and lights and underside bash plates by any chance? If so they all restrict cooling airflow through the engine bay and cause greatly increased turbo case temps. That may be the reason where others, most others, aren't having a problem. Does it get a little warmer than others? maybe the fan clutch isn't working as it should and not passing enough airflow through the engine bay as well. Is the intercooler finning clean and passing airflow well? The turbos may well be near their max performance but they too like to be able to get rid of heat into their surrounds. Just a thought because it may not be the turbo as the culprit!
Jaymuzdmax

Re: Dmax 2018 variable vane turbo fault

Post by Jaymuzdmax »

Hi All,

Timmy my Dmax 18 auto experience the same fault, but It was the DPD trying to do a burn. I've never had issue with the turbo, my ute is used for work as well.
I don't pull a trailer, but me and the wife do go to Stockton a fair bit.
One thing I did with the ute was transmission cooler ( HPD) , I run the usually bigger tyres,bash plates, winch etc.
It's never overheated nore has the turbo given me any issues, and it did pull a trailer early on when it was new.
A trans cooler wasn't fitted then, but I was driving it in manual mode.
It's going to Doctor Diesel in Sydney for a tune and modifications to DPD