Valve adjustment

hughie

Valve adjustment

Post by hughie »

Before I take the rocker cover off, I don't suppose that anyone knows whether the 4JJ1 engine (2013 dmax) has shim or screw valve adjustments. I can't find much at all on the net about it.

Thanks

Cheers
mydmax

Re: Valve adjustment

Post by mydmax »

The valve adjustment is screw adjusters.

The clearances are hard to find anywhere.

If the vehicle hasn't done more than 40,000km then the adjustment should be still close to OE setting.
However, the inlets will possibly be the most unaltered for that OE setting.

The largest inlet clearance you measure should be very close to the original set gap.

++++ EDIT ++++

So although the wear rate is low, the small clearance which doesn't alter much/ shouldn't alter much, can be quite small or non existant, and because a dealer mechanic can't hear them rattling they choose to leave them.
They possibly have checked some and they didn't alter much so they often don't touch them, may charge for it but don't look. That happens!

If they have closed up, they won't make any noise at all, and the dealer mechanic definitely won't hear NO NOISE being made will he. So checking is the only sure way to know. Unfortunately takes some disassembly and time. Worse on a shim and bucket engine.

Cheers
mydmax
Last edited by mydmax on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danno

Post by Danno »

;)
Last edited by Danno on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
Dopomax

Post by Dopomax »

I have a data sticker on the inside of the bonnet, 2014 LS M. The one with the oil change etc info. States .15 mm cold. A D Max dealer mechanic told me all they do is listening to the engine for valve noise and if the customer does not report any power loss, they do nothing. :cry: Personally, I would take the time to adjust the valves. You will notice the difference in performance.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

I just posted a bit of info about valve clearances and other stuff in General as a reply to Dopomax.
Maybe it should be here.

What a fantastic idea for a dealer to say, "they listen to the valves/clearances.
0.15mm isn't much and I bet you can't hear the valves clearances when correct. Any seat erosion or valve face wear means the valve clearances get less. So how the Bl@@dy Hell is a dealer or even his mechanic gong to hear what isn't going to make any noise? in order to decide to adjust them. Utter Load of Crap by the dealer.
They charge people "as checked but don't check. Many 80 series Toyotas have been treated the same way and owners have found their valves have NEVER been checked in 200,000km of careful, full attention, servicing. Fully stamped in the book. How delusional is that?

It is no good waiting until the owner reports power loss. That means there has been up to 700 Degree C, sonic gasses screaming across the valve seat which should be closed at that time, BUT it ISN'T. so life of engine is far less, maybe failure. Induced by the dealer.
That is called Dealer Induced Depreciation. Sells new vehicle though. WIN WIN for dealer.( Not TV)
He got your money for not adjusting the valves and now sells you a new vehicle or gets workshop repair hours.
There are many workshop practices in the auto industry which are deceitful and worse.

Cheers
mydmax
Dopomax

Post by Dopomax »

I had a 2008 Pajero V6 and the valves, according to the service manual, were to be adjusted every 15000 kms. But it actually stated in the log book, the dealer carries out an “audible check of the valve clearance” ??? and to add insult they charged for this. :evil: As you state, crap.

I did my own valve adjustment, which to do correctly, takes a good part of the day on a V6. It was clear after, 130000kms the tappet covers had never been off. :!: Nor the inlet housing so don’t know how the dealer changed the spark plugs at 100000 kms. After the valve adjustment the car ran so much better. :)

Happy to pay for a dealer service, as long as they do what’s in the manual and what they charge for.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

That, running BETTER, is something many don't experience until the valves actually do get adjusted and unfortunately, it is only then, that many owners find the dealer/delayer never did them.
Sad, but true state of affairs.
hughie

Post by hughie »

Two points of view about tappet adjusters. Posts on this board suggest screw adjusters, and a dealer I rang said they are definitely shim (which is no doubt why they quote so much to do it). Has anyone here actually had the cover off and done an adjustment? In a previous life I was a motor mech and have worked in many dealerships and workshops, mostly Toyota, and have done more valve adjustments that I would like to count, including some shim adjusters. For the shim adjusters on earlier Corollas etc Toyota had a special tool like a pair of pliers that was designed to push the valve and bucket down so the shim could be removed and changed without taking the rocker gear off. Don't know if they still use them. Would be interesting to hear from someone who's done it.

Cheers
hughie

Post by hughie »

Also meant to say that I agree that an audible check of the valves doesn't make sense. With roller rockers, any wear that takes place is going to be negligible and any movement in the clearances is going to caused by valve seat recession, which will have to effect of closing the valve clearances, and will not be audible. This is more of a worry than clearances going the other way as eventually they start to burn.

Cheers
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Hughie
I don't know who the dealer is who told you they are shim adjusters BUT I have a DMAX brochure which clearly shows a cut away picture of a 4JJ1TC engine with SCREW ADJUSTERS.
Not sure how the dealer doesn't know that. Who did you talk to at the dealers?

Possibly they don't know because they never look at them!!!!!!! Not joking.

Possibly to get you in so they "can not do them" and claim they are done because no one can hear them.

PS, I haven't done mine in a 2011 engine yet but others have, and adjusted the valves because the dealers never did it.

You don't want to get into the habit of believing what a dealer or their representatives say. Their way of working comes from the "money making bible" and not a truthful bible. All they tell you is geared one way, overdrive into their pocket.