Can you check the front brake pads for wear without taking t

garrytre

Can you check the front brake pads for wear without taking t

Post by garrytre »

Hi All.

Question.
Can you check the front brake pads for wear without taking the wheel off?

Background.
2014 D-Max. Missing hub-cap after a service. I said they'd forgotten to put it back when they took the wheels off to check the front brake pads. He said they didn't take the wheels off to check the front brake pads.
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
mydmax

Re: Can you check the front brake pads for wear without taki

Post by mydmax »

Garrytre.
First question to them is: what thickness is present at front and rear of all 4 front pads? If the checked them it should be on the service report.
Q. 2. How is it achieved without removing the wheels. Surely the inner disc surface inspection was not possible with the stone shield in place. Not sure if it can be done with a mirror and/or a endoscope camera. I might try it, I have both.
Unless you can see the steel backing on the inner and outer pads you can't determine the gap created by the friction pad thickness. Taking the wheel off allows inspection of other parts too.
Dealer skills often stun me with their abilities.

If your caps are same/similar to the earlier models and will fit I can send you one. I don't use them and have 4 spares anyway. PM me with an Address if you want it!
garrytre

Post by garrytre »

Thanks Ross, it was replaced at their cost.

Now follows a long rant.

I hate having to depend on other people.

My first mechanic had a good worker called Kim, who worked part time while he was at uni, and was thoughtful & thorough. When Kim left, things went downhill, and I eventually sacked that mechanic. I approached Sam and said 'can I depend on you to do what's necessary, without me havig to check up on things and bring it back?' He said yes, so I used him. So far Sam's guys have lost/broken some plastic clips so stuff in the cabin rattles, left air in the fuel line, and lost a hubcap.

Putting the hubcaps on, he wanted to remove the wheel nuts to do it, til I showed him, and he claimed that it must have fallen off because they wear out. Kinda trivial, but pisses me off.

Your turn - I know how much you love 'professionals'.
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

I too don't like to rely on others but sometimes it has to be because of regulations which may bite hard. I have great respect for those mechanics who are thorough and know how things work and repair vehicles, unfortunately that they are in the minority. A young bloke I know, had a fair bit to do with him and his dad when he was 16 or so, and later began MMechanic apprenticeship. Became top Apprentice in Victoria and works at my Local Fraud dealer. I asked him what other mechanics there are like, he replied, "B#%$dy Useless. I noticed/heard a hot rod at a function a while back and thought that runs properly, unlike most, and looks really good, Turned out it he built it and also built the engine. Just so different to the crap you see and everyone drools over.

Good to hear they replaced the part for you.